Today I got to do something I’ve been wanting to do for YEARS….go inside the brand new Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. I have been in Orlando for 15 years now – and it seems like it’s taken that long to get to this point!
And I have to say, the facility doesn’t disappoint. It is beyond amazing. I cannot wait to see a show in this new venue.
After some opening remarks, we were able to tour the brand new facility that is home to the 2,700-seat Walt Disney Theater and the 300 seat Alexis & Jim Pugh Theater. Check out this new video of the facility, as shot by drone! It’s awesome:
Some fun facts about the new facility:
- Bathroom details: 78 sinks, 123 stalls and 34 urinals. And they are nice. I even took a bathroom selfie. And all the bathrooms have small rails to put your drinks! In fact, the center has over 400 feet of drink rails throughout!
- 13 different bars throughout the facility.
- Theatergoers will see 34 works of art by Tom McGrath created specifically for the ceiling of the Pugh Theater. It’s my favorite part of the entire place.
The Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, 455 S. Magnolia Ave., Orlando, plans more than two weeks of events in its Grand Premiere Celebration. Here are highlights.
- Nov. 8: Open house. The public can explore the center’s theaters and other areas. Noon-6 p.m.
- Nov. 8: Sheryl Crow. The singer gives a free concert on the Seneff Arts Plaza. 8 p.m. A package including a climate-controlled hospitality area with seats, private restrooms, barbecue dinner and three drinks, is available for $50 advance, $60 at the gate. 8 p.m.
- Nov. 9: Open house. Noon-4 p.m.